One year of Uber in Bologna: «The service is taking off»


Bologna, November 2, 2021

One year of Uber in Bologna: «The service is taking off»

One year of Uber in Bologna: «The service is taking off»

Cosepuri and the Californian company satisfied:

«Numbers increased tenfold after the economic recovery»


The two realities

The marriage of interest between the two realities is substantially based on a division of assets: the first has the technology, the second the fleet (over 200 cars in Bologna). Each maintains its own organizational and rates identity, joining forces to intercept the mobility needs of international customers in transit in the city and to provide the public with a wider offer of private transport. The longest ride was 253 kilometers from Bologna to Gallarate, the shortest from one point to the other on Via Indipendenza. "The project was prior to Covid and launching Uber Black in 2020, between lockdowns and color changes based on infections, was daring - recognizes Pireddu - but then the service took off: the number of sessions, that is, access to the app to request the service, has already reached 100,000 ”.


The numbers

The peak was in September: "Numbers increased tenfold with the resumption of activities and trade fairs". The target audience? "75% international, coming from 40 countries and already used to the Uber interface for travel - he specifies -; the remaining 25% Italian: residents or tourists who have used the app abroad or in other cities ". Like Rome and Milan, where Uber has been there since 2013. "The first contact was in 2016 - recalls Onofri -: even then I saw the possibility of collaborating as a great opportunity. The service has been tested and the customer satisfaction index shows it ". If, before booking the ride, they can know the price, at the end of the journey they can express a vote (but also be evaluated) for the service received. "And the rating - informs Onofri - has an average of 4.8 out of a maximum of 5".



Pireddu cites the Uber research "Italians and urban mobility" according to which the need for alternative means of transport to the private car is increasing, which still remains the main means of transport, but its use is decreasing among young people who prefer metro, bus, taxi / NCC, bicycles and scooters. "The private car has less and less grip on the new generations, also due to the lack of efficient alternatives for mobility - he notes -. Uber seeks to offer various options aimed at integrating and extending public transport networks, which are fundamental for the future of smart mobility. " As for the future, net of "the hostilities still shown by taxi drivers" and in the midst of the energy transition "but without incentives for those who choose electric", Onofri does not rule out anything: "We are curious to understand the trends and ready to interpret them".

Alessandra Testa, on “Corriere di Bologna, 31/10/2021